How to keep your car safe from theft
Having your car stolen can be very inconvenient. Make sure you take steps to help prevent theft as best you can.
Having your car stolen can be very inconvenient, especially when it’s your main mode of transport.
Car thieves can be crafty, and there are many reasons why they may have chosen your car – it’s not always because they wanted a flash new ride to impress their friends. Many thieves nick cars so they can sell the parts on the black market, and sometimes they only want one part to keep for themselves, such as your wheels.
Whatever the reason, it’s important to make sure you take steps to help prevent theft as best you can. Otherwise, if you have car insurance in place, you may have to make a claim!
Here’s what you can do:
- Install a car alarm. This will draw attention to the scene!
- Steering wheel locks, anti-theft markings and immobilizers will also help deter a thief.
- Install a tracking system that can help to find your car in the event it does get stolen.
- If possible, keep your car in the garage at home or park it behind a locked gate. In short, keep it in the most secure place you can.
- If you park it in town or any public carpark, try to choose a busy, well-lit park. If it has security cameras, even better.
- Don’t leave valuables inside. If these are visible from the outside, these just make your car more tempting to rob! Take them with you or hide them.
- Always make sure you lock your car and take your keys with you, no matter where you are or how long you are away for.
- Never keep the spare set of keys (or any keys for that matter) in your car.
- Finally, never get complacent because you don’t think your car is worth stealing. While expensive cars are more desired by thieves, all types of cars are at risk of being stolen.
In any case, make sure you have car insurance in place in the event you need to make a claim. It’s easy to get a quote online today, so that you have more peace of mind tomorrow!